One of the cool new pieces of tech in the Nexus 7 that you might not have explored yet is the ability to ‘Beam’ from your tablet to another enabled device.
The N7 does this using NFC (Near Field Communication), a short range radio communication medium which can be used to share data or even make contactless payments.
How to turn on NFC on Nexus 7
Zip through the following menu settings to turn on NFC:
- Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > More > NFC.
How to turn on Android Beam on Nexus 7
And to turn on Android Beam you just need to
- Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > More > Android Beam.
First of all you need to find the content you want to share, bring up a webpage, YouTube video, or a place page in Maps for example. Then follow these steps:
- Bring the back of your tablet towards the back of the receiving device.
- You’ll hear a sound when the beams are connected and the image on your screen will reduce in size. The message ‘Touch to beam’ will display.
- So go ahead and Touch your screen anywhere.
- Your friend’s device will then display the transferred content, easy!
I’d be interested to hear if anyone is making use of this technology yet? The biggest problem I have is that no one else I know has an NFC enabled device, but I guess this will change rapidly (except for iPhone users of course!).