Finally, UK Android users have got access to the Amazon App Store! Pop over to their website to get going.
You’re probably wondering why you would want to have access to an alternative app store?
- Free App of the Day: This will be the big draw for many, every day a different app is given away for free. Once downloaded you get to keep it, reinstall it and get updates too, so it’s worth grabbing them even if you’re not sure if you’ll use it in the long run. The quality varies but the launch app is the ad-free Angry Birds. I’ll have that thanks!
- Recommendations: I rely on the recommended picks to discover new apps, and Amazon has a good reputation for picking out the best apps.
- Amazon EcoSystem: All of this goes through your existing Amazon account so it’s easy to set up and means you can use your existing payment options. Probably not a big draw as it does the same as Google’s store to be honest!
I can’t imagine developers publishing exclusively to Amazon’s store, so I don’t think this will give us access to apps that won’t be in the Play Store. But who knows, perhaps Amazon will offer incentives for exclusive content.
How to Install Amazon App Store on Nexus 7
Download the Amazon App store on to your Nexus 7 is easy enough! You just need to follow these steps:
- Navigate to this page
- Put your email address in the top left hand corner
- Click the link and the App Store APK file will begin to install
- As per Amazon’s instructions, make sure you permit installation from non-Play sources
- Once the download completes, just tap the notification and it will install
- You can now fire up the App, you’ll find the icon in the usual location under ‘App Store’
- When you start you’ll need to enter your Amazon account details
- That’s it.
This is one of the reasons I love Android, no one is forcing you to buy through a particular interface and competitors are free to set up their own stores.
This allows innovative options such as free app of the day and I’m sure we’ll see other features as store owners attempt to differentiate themselves and gain market share.